Zarine Khan: I Do Not Resemble Katrina Kaif




Zarine Khan, who is making her big screen debut with Salman Khan's dream project 'Veer', takes comparisons with Katrina Kaif as "compliment" but says she does not resemble the 'Namaste London' star. "She is beautiful. I have seen her, met her a couple of times. Even being a girl, I could not take my eyes off her. But, we are two different people. She has made her mark for herself, I have just begun. When I look at myself in the mirror I don't see myself resembling her," Zarine said in an interview. The model-turned-actress, who is playing a Rajasthani princess in the period drama, said Katrina often came on the sets of 'Veer'. "She gave me lot of advise on make up and other professional tips," Zarine said. The actress has been compared to Katrina Kaif and reportedly played her body double in Subhash Ghai's 'Yuvvraaj'. The newcomer said she had to put on 8 to 10 kgs weight to look the character of a Rajasthani princess. "Putting on weight was the easiest thing to do before facing the camera. I was 54 kgs before I was signed for the film," Zarine said. She said extensive research of the period when the film was set revealed that the queens and princesses were not skinny, but well-built. "So, I had to look that way. Now that the film is complete and ready for release, I have to get back to shape otherwise I could face problems for my future projects.

I have to lose some 3 to 4 kgs more," she said. Zarine said she was a bright student growing up in Mumbai and aspired to be a doctor. "I was a tomboy who loved to ride bikes. But, financial crisis in the family did not allow me to complete my education and had to do small modelling assignments to run the house," she recalled. "Nobody would remember the work I did nor recognise me in them. Now I want to do bigger things in life," she said. The actress said "Veer" was unplanned and Zarine recalled the time when she was called by Mukta Arts on the sets of 'Yuvvraaj'. "I did not ask why I was called on the sets, but I got to meet Salman. When I asked him for an autograph, he said, 'no sweetheart, you will sign autographs for the world'," she said recalling her meeting with Salman. The actor, who has turned scriptwriter for the movie, recommended her name to the makers. Salman plays a Pindari soldier in the film, which is set in the set in 1875. The film will hit theatres on January 22. Zarine, a self-confessed fan of Salman says after a bad spell, good times have come to her now. "I got to romance my idol on screen in a film that has been written by him. No matter what is written about him, Salman has a heart of gold and a thorough gentleman," she said. She was auditioned for the role along with many girls."Not all looked good in both the Indian and western look, the character has to portray. I fitted the bill well," she said. She said even though she would love to work in romantic movies, she understands that she can't get choosy. "I have no knowledge about anything related to the film industry. I will take advice of people who have helped me so far. I am getting offers, but will decide on my next project after the release of my debut film."