A Kit Kat Birthday Cake


Like I mentioned in my last post, I offered to make my sister’s birthday cake this time, rather than order it from somewhere. She’s the biggest fan of my baking, and so she was happy with the idea, though my parents were a little wary (talk about encouraging your kids’ talents!!). Anyway, I found several versions of the Kit Kat cake all around the internet and decided to give it a try.


I baked two 8” round cakes using the Devil’s Food Cake recipe from here. I baked it on Saturday evening and let them cool completely and then wrapped them individually in foil.

On Sunday morning, I made the chocolate ganache. I used 250 g of chocolate and 200 ml of cream. This was actually a lot, and I ended up with leftovers. Anyway, I made the ganache and let it to cool at room temperature. Then I chilled it for about 25 minutes before assembling the cake.

Ok, now the assembly. Here’s the list of everything I used:

1. 2 8” cakes made as per the recipe here
2. Chocolate ganache, made thick and spreadable as mentioned above.

3. 35 Kit Kat fingers, I used a combination of 4 pk and 3 pk, broken into pairs.

4. 4 Marshmallow chains

5. Cadbury Gems – I needed only pinks and purples, so I used up 3 small packs.

6. Wide pink ribbon.

Note: You can skip the gems and fill up entirely with mini marshmallows.

The assembly of the cake was actually quite easy.


1. First, I leveled the tops of both the cakes and placed one cake upside down on the cake stand.

2. Generously coated the top with ganache, then placed the other cake right side up and pressed down gently.

3. Started covering the sides with ganache, starting from the part where the two cakes joined. Proceeded to cover all the sides and top, smoothing with a paletteknife.

4. Stuck the Kit Kat finger pairs on the side, placing closely without any gaps.

5. Tied a ribbon around the Kit Kats to hold them in place and trimmed the edges of the ribbon.

6. Arranged the marshmallow chains in a spiral fashion on the cake.

7. Filled the centre with pink and purple Gems. Chill for 5 minutes before taking out.

When cutting the cake, cut considering the 2 finger Kit Kat as a guide.

I thought of leaving the space in the middle for a candle, but at 17 years of age, my sis thinks she’s too old for birthday candles J.


So that was it!! Really easy to make, but quite impressive. Everyone was quite surprised and said it looked great!!! It also tasted really yum, the Devil’s Food Cake melting in my mouth with that smooth ganache.


What do you guys think of this cake? Do let me know if you have any suggestions for simple birthday cakes!! 

Source